Schedule an AC Tune-up
Summers are around the corner, and there’s nothing worse than being stuck with a malfunctioning AC on a scalding hot day. To prevent this, you need to ensure your AC is ready to tackle the upcoming heat and humidity.
Experts recommend that it’s a good idea to get your AC unit serviced before summer so there are no unexpected issues later on. By scheduling an AC upgrade, you can sit back and relax, knowing that your AC will have your back throughout the hot months.
Table of Contents
How Do I Prepare My AC Unit for the Summer Heat?
Your comfort level inside your home during summer heavily depends on your air conditioning system. So why not take the appropriate steps to prepare for the season ahead? Here are a few things you can do to prepare your AC unit for the summer heat.
» Put in a New Air Filter
Every AC system has at least one air filter that needs to be changed regularly. This filter aims to trap harmful airborne contaminants so they don’t float around in your home. With time, the filter collects so many particles that it becomes clogged.
Take a moment to pop out the current air filter and examine it in light. If you can’t see through the filter, it is time to replace it with a new one. Opt for one that is washable, HEPA, pleated, and fiberglass filters.
» Clean your Inside and Outside Unit
To ensure the AC runs optimally, you must properly clean it. Turn off the circuit breaker and start cleaning the evaporator coils. Next, clean the drain pipe and pan with mild household detergent and water solution.
Now move on to the outside of the AC unit. Take a water hose and wash away any loose debris on the fins or other parts of the compressor unit. Use a special cleanser to clean the condenser coil and any other debris created by outdoor elements. If you notice any broken insulation foam around the wires, replace it with insulation sleeves or wrap them with foam tape.
» Program your Thermostat
Consider setting your thermostat to 78 degrees when you are at home. When you aren’t home, program it to a higher temperature, around 80-85 degrees. This will make sure that your AC system is running in an energy-preserving manner.
» Ensure Adequate Airflow
Blocked, dirty, or closed vents can compromise the efficiency of your AC system. To avoid this, keep all or most of your vents open and clean their grilles with a brush to remove debris.
Reasons You Should Upgrade Your AC
- Your AC is over a decade old: Electrical equipment tends to lose efficiency or require frequent repairs past a certain amount of time. When you upgrade your AC, you may face upfront costs, but the latest technological updates will save you significant money in the long run.
- Your AC always breaks down: ACs require progressively costlier repairs as they age. Instead of waiting for peak summer to replace a broken AC, consider getting an AC upgrade before summer starts.
- Your electricity bills have hiked up: It is normal for energy bills to increase or decrease. However, a major increase in your bill is a sign that something may be wrong with your HVAC system.
- Your space constantly feels sticky and hot: Summers can be hot and sticky, but that doesn’t mean your house should feel the same. A properly functional AC should both dehumidify and cool your space. If your home constantly feels the opposite, it might be time to upgrade to a new AC system.
- There’s a mismatch in coolness: Do you freeze in some rooms while feeling hot in others? If so, then you may be dealing with an inefficient AC system. An HVAC technician will inspect the system and recommend an upgrade.
Reasons You Should Tune-Up Your AC
- Improved energy efficiency: Debris and dust collection lower the efficiency of the air conditioning system, and this can rack up your energy bills. Before you use your AC in the summer, consider getting an AC tune-up service to better manage your electricity bills.
- Increased AC lifespan: If you want your AC to live for a long time, you will want to have it regularly tuned up. By ignoring regular maintenance, you are inviting frequent breakdowns that eventually compromise the efficiency of the AC system. A trained and skilled technician will identify the breakdown risks beforehand and provide the right solutions to ensure you are prepared for the summer.
- Better air quality: During the months when you don’t use your AC, plenty of debris and pollutants start collecting in the ducts. When you turn the system on, all that harmful junk floats into the air, hurting the air quality and worsening your allergies. When you schedule your AC maintenance, you can ensure your home stays fresh and clean.
- Increased comfort: An AC tune-up ensures your system is cooling as efficiently as possible. This means no sudden breakdowns, hot and cold spots, and comfortable temperatures throughout your home.
How Often Should an AC Unit Be Serviced?
In general, you should get your air conditioning serviced by Conejo Valley Heating and Air Conditioning twice every year: once during fall and once in spring. This helps ensure that the system is clean, the parts are in good shape, and functions as optimally as possible. If you are looking for a complete upgrade, spring is the best time to replace your AC Unit.
Get your AC Ready for the Hot Summer Months!
When it comes to AC tune-up services and AC upgrades, it is best to leave the heavy lifting to the professionals. If you haven’t gotten your AC serviced in a long time, are tired of getting frequent repairs done, or simply want to bring down your energy bills, call Conejo Valley Heating and Air Conditioning today! Their team of trained and qualified experts specializes in a wide range of services such as AC repair, installation, upgrade, and tune-up services. Schedule an appointment before the summer heat hits today by calling (805) 499-0448!