Are you wondering how you can improve the efficiency of your HVAC system? According to the Department of Energy, the cooling and heating bills contribute to half of the total utility bill. In the US, central air conditioning is the largest energy expense. Without a doubt, an HVAC system has a key role to play in any building or home. Through the HVAC services, the environmental condition indoors is controlled. Irrespective of the weather outside, it is capable of heating or cooling the environment. Wondering why you need an efficient HVAC system? Since the system might be turned on throughout the day, you need a system that will consume less energy. It will be beneficial for you in the long run as you will have to spend less money. In this post, we have highlighted the tips for improving the efficiency of the HVAC system. If you want to know what an efficient system is, continue reading.
Energy Efficient HVAC SystemIf you are thinking about what makes an HVAC system energy efficient, then you are not alone. There are numerous people who don’t know what an energy-efficient system is. Energy efficiency is one of the factors that everyone focuses on when buying a machine or device. The same is the case with an HVAC system. As mentioned above, HVAC system contributes a huge portion to energy costs. It is essential to have an energy-efficient HVAC so you can have low energy costs. There are several factors that make an HVAC system energy efficient. Following are the factors that an efficient HVAC feature:
- Type of the system
- How it is maintained
- Electronic ignition
- Sealed Combustion chamber
- Heat exchanger
- Speed blower
- Size and installation
Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)One of the ratings an energy-efficient HVAC system will have is EER rating. This rating has a strict laboratory condition for testing the system. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient it is.
Season Energy Efficient Ratio (SEER)It is used to measure the ratio of cooling output; measured in British Thermal Units (BTU). This is divided by the usage of the system, which is calculated in kilowatt-hours. Like EER, the higher the number of SEER rating, the more energy-efficient the system.
Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF)This rating is used for determining how efficient the pump of the HVAC system is. It is capable of producing both, cold and hot air. The HSPF rating is used for assessing how much heating is required. The higher the rating of HSPF, the more efficient the system is.
How to Make your HVAC System Efficient?Now that you know what makes an HVAC system energy-efficient, here are the tips for making an HVAC system energy efficient.
1. Prevent Duct LeakageIf the HVAC system has a leaky duct system, the air will escape before it can reach your rooms. It is the most commonly ignored problem that will cost a lot. To make your HVAC system energy efficient, you need to use products that will prevent leakage. You can use Aerosol that will fill holes and cracks, so there will be no more leakage.
2. Use Curtains or BlindsIn order to improve the efficiency of your HVAC system, you should use curtains and blinds. In summer, it is advised to keep the curtains or blinds closed to restrict summer heat. This is a wonderful way to maintain a cool temperature. On the other hand, in winter, you can open the curtain to let in sunlight. This will heat your room naturally, so your HVAC system will have to work less.
3. Replace the Old SystemOne of the ways to make your HVAC system energy efficient is by retrofitting the old system. If you have a large system that is maintained in optimal condition, you can replace the compressor of the system. For making it energy efficient, add controls for a condenser fan along with air-side economizers.
4. Air Filters to Be Changed FrequentlySince the HVAC system will be used regularly, the filter will get blocked thanks to debris, dust, and dirt. When your system is clogged, the system will have to work harder to keep your house cool or hot. It will make force the system to use more energy that will cost more money. When you will change the filter often, it will keep the system clean. This will even provide clean air and will function at its best.
5. Drain Line Should Be CleanBy having a clean drain line, the efficiency of the HVAC system will improve. For cleaning the drain line, you must use chlorine bleach. After that, flush a gallon of water for rinsing it. In case the drain line is blocked, the basement will be flooded. So, it is better to clean the drain in summer and winter.
6. Size of the DuctEveryone knows that the HVAC system is distributed through your house. This is why it helps in keeping all the rooms cool or warm. It is the reason why you have to focus on the size of the duct. If the duct size is not right, it will prevent the system from working efficiently. When the duct size is too large, the air will get lost in the duct and it will be forced to work harder. In case the duct size is too small, it will decrease the airflow of the HVAC system.
Therefore, having an efficient HVAC system is crucial in every house as it will help in reducing your utility bill. If your HVAC system is not efficient, you don’t have to get a new system. Instead, you can use these tips and improve the efficiency of the HVAC system. Conejo Valley Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. is an experienced and skilled HVAC contractor offering excellent services. Get in touch with our customer support expert if you need more information. We provide services in different areas of California including all of Conejo Valley areas and nearby regions including Los Angeles County, Ventura County, and Santa Barbara County. Contact us online or call us now at (805) 499-0448 to avail our professional HVAC services in your local area.